Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Coconut Court Beach Hotel has been owned and operated by the Blades family since 1975. It is located on 3 acres of prime beachfront property on the south coast of the island and boasts 111 rooms.
We were approached to assist them with creating a master plan for a major redevelopment and refurbishment of their property. We conducted an extensive audit and assessment of their operations and accommodation requirements and from this study developed a 5-year master plan divided into 6 phases:
- Phase 1 - A new 4,800sqft Services building
- Phase 2 - The Demolition of the existing services block and the construction of a new 8,200sqft 2-storey structure comprising a conference room, common washrooms, managerial offices and a Beach Bar & Restaurant to cater for 80 people
- Phase 3 – The demolition of the existing reception block and restaurant/Bar and the construction of a new 11,000sqft 5-storey building housing the main entrance, reception, reservations, gift shop, activities desk, lifts, gym, public washrooms, offices and two floors of hotel rooms above. This phase also included a new vehicular entrance with Porte Cochere and extensive landscaping / reconfiguration of the parking areas.
- Phase 4 – The replacement of the existing pool / pool deck with larger and better designed pools and deck areas incorporating bridges, shade structures and a flowing river feature
- Phase 5 – The conversion of a block of 31 rooms into Hotel condominiums
- Phase 6 – A new 5 storey block of accommodation
We prepared preliminary budget estimates and projected construction timelines for the respective phases of the master plan. The most challenging aspect of this project was in the planning of the phasing of the work to minimise impacts on the operation of the hotel, its guests, and ultimately the time it would need to be closed to facilitate the works.
LocationThe Garrison Historic Area, Hastings, Christ Church, Barbados
StageMaster Plan Completed 2013.
Size23570 sq. ft. / 2190 sq. m.
Civil & Structural Engineers
Stantec Consulting Caribbean Ltd
- Increased landscaping and planting
- Existing mature trees incorporated in the design
- Grass Crete paving allows natural drainage and reduce heat gain